GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: trying to build gtkdatabox for Windows
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:54 pm 

Hi all,

I also presented this question to the gtdatabox mailing list.

I have been trying to build gtkdatabox on Windows 7 using MinGW/MSYS. I have tried both version 0.9.2.0 and 0.7.1.0 of gtkdatabox. For gtk+, I have downloaded the "all-in-one" bundle of the win32 distribution which includes the 3rd party dependencies and dev versions (version 2.24.10) .

I tried running the configure script after setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to the directory containing the pkg config scripts for gtk+. The script hangs at "checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.0" at which point a dialog box appears stating that "The program can't start because libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll is missing..." After acknowledging the message, configure continues, indicating that the run-time linker hasn't found the library. I tried setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable in the shell, as suggested by the message produced by configure, and re-running, but it fails again. I do have the required library in the bin directory of gtk+ on my system.

If I go ahead and try to run make but I get a lot of undefined reference errors, which also suggests a failure to find the library.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,

Jason

Post subject: Re: trying to build gtkdatabox for Windows
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:49 pm 

OK, I figured it out. The problem was: I did not install the gtk+ libraries to the correct directory. I did some reading on MinGW and the version of "/usr/local" directory on Windows with MinGW (as I understand it, this is where the configure script looks for libraries). I didn't realize that directory is where I needed to install the gtk+ libraries.

For anyone else that might face the same issue, what I did was:

(1) in the msys shell, I typed:

cd /usr/local
pwd -W

this prints the Windows-formatted directory corresponding to "/usr/local"

(2) unzip the "all-in-one" win32 bundle of gtk+ to that directory. It will warn that there are directories with the same name, let it copy the files that do not exist in them already.

(3) run the configure script: ./configure; now it should succeed. Then run make and make install. The examples should build as well, so the example executables can be run.

Jason