GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The best of both worlds; CUI and GUI
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:12 am 
Familiar Face

Ok I have a question about GTK and how it handles GUI and CUI. Basically I started using Visual C++ and thought that it was causing the problem (and i'm sure I had everything set right, I even tried xaos5's vsprops files too). Turns out that wasn't the problem, I ran into the same thing with GCC command line and Dev-CPP.

The problem is how do you output to the console while not having the command prompt open with a window. I want no console window open with my window, but I want the program to be able to output to the console if it was called from there. I have the following;

Code:
#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <glib.h>

int main ( int argc, char* argv[] ) {
  GtkWidget *dialog = NULL;
  g_print("Hello Console!");

gtk_init (&argc, &argv);
  dialog = gtk_message_dialog_new (GTK_WINDOW(NULL),
                                   GTK_DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT,
                                   GTK_MESSAGE_INFO,
                                   GTK_BUTTONS_CLOSE,
                                   "Hello Window!");
  gtk_dialog_run (GTK_DIALOG (dialog));
  g_signal_connect_swapped (dialog, "response",
                            G_CALLBACK (gtk_widget_destroy),
                            dialog);
  gtk_widget_destroy (dialog);

return 0;
}

(I tried replacing g_print with printf from stdio.h, but no luck either)

if I compile without -mwindows it opens a command prompt window and outputs "Hello Console!" then "Hello Window!" in a messagebox as expected, but if opened with double click (i.e. not from the command prompt) it will open a command prompt with it. Now if I do it with -mwindows it will eliminate the command prompt, but douse my ability to output to stdout via g_print or any other method.

It is very import that I have GUI and CUI, as most linux programs do, I believe that power lies in mostly CUI with mapping to the CUI using GUI. I have a full featured set of command line options with GOption and am not willing to choose either GUI or CUI or have a command prompt open with the GUI if not opened from the command line.

I also would not like to have to use hacks to close the CUI on load. I know this has to be a common problem, like in -mwindows the STDOUT get's re-routed or something.

Any help will be very much appriciated,
--Alex (http://www.axpen.com/)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:54 am 
Familiar Face

Man this sucks I've studied some of the gimp and test programs with the GTK environment and it seems the best way they've figured out is to make a console and GUI one separately, and newbie windows users will just use myprog.exe and people who like CUI will use myprog-console.exe. This flusters me greatly as in Linux you see things like **ERROR** when closing apps opened from the command line, but if you just double click em you never see the messages.