GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: how about usig standard C library fubctions? Timer?
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:22 pm 
GTK+ Geek

(1) I am using functions like calloc(0, ststr() etc, but I am getting warnings at compilation. Is there any penalty using these? Are ther thread-safe in GTK?
(2) Is there a timer functionality in GTK? I need to make repeated actions
each second or so. In Windows there is a message that can be used for this" WM_TIMER. Or one can create a separate thread to make the timer?
Thanks
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:12 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Quote:
(1) I am using functions like calloc(0, ststr() etc, but I am getting warnings at compilation. Is there any penalty using these? Are ther thread-safe in GTK?

I think (operative word there is think) that the main reason for using GLib's utility functions is portability. However, when they dont' do anything differently, they simply wrap the appropriate utility function, so really, I would suggest using the ones that GLib provides. Also, I think it is bad to mix memory management functions (don't mix malloc and g_free for example). Again, I would go with the GLib functions.

Quote:
(2) Is there a timer functionality in GTK? I need to make repeated actions
each second or so. In Windows there is a message that can be used for this" WM_TIMER. Or one can create a separate thread to make the timer?

This one depends on your precision and needs.

If you just need a timer, check out GTimer.

If you need to execute a function about every x microseconds, but accuracy is not a primary concern, check out g_timeout_add (). I use this one quite often.

If you need precise timing, I'm not sure there is a pure GTK method for that (I don't think there is). However, some situations you can simply decrease your g_timeout intervals and check the time on the system and do your own math.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:51 pm 
GTK+ Geek

Micah, thank you! your help is invaluable.
Peter