GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GTK/C Glade 2 questions
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:57 pm 
GTK+ Geek

Glade 2 folks:

I have a strange problem. In my project setting option I can set the prorgam name
to ANYTHING, but after "make' the created executible always has a name 'codes' regardless what I set as program name .

What's going on?
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:58 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

It's been a while since I've used Glade 2... and even then I typically didn't use it's "Build" function, however, it sounds like you might want to try a 'make clean' and then re-run 'make'. Or maybe an 'autoreconf' before 'make'.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, that method of using Glade has been deprecated for some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:28 pm 
GTK+ Geek

Micah Carrick wrote:
It's been a while since I've used Glade 2... and even then I typically didn't use it's "Build" function, however, it sounds like you might want to try a 'make clean' and then re-run 'make'. Or maybe an 'autoreconf' before 'make'.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, that method of using Glade has been deprecated for some time.

It did not help...
So how do you create your UI? Glade ?
Peter

PS: I would be using Glade 3, (although it might be a bit too fresh..)
but I have RHED 5 on my PC and it came with glade 2. The RH depository does not have Galde 3 on the install list and I am too inexperienced to rebuild. Maybe soon they will add Glade 3...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:10 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Yes, I'm using Glade 3 which is available under many distros as "glade-3" (as opposed to "glade" which is Glade 2).

But more importantly, most people switched to using Glade along with libglade even back in the Glade 2 days.

Rather than using the "Build" feature of glade to generate code to build your GUI, you simply use the project file (with the .glade extension) to dynamically generate the UI at runtime. The .glade file is actually an XML file which is why you see us posting XML in some of the examples around here.

Libglade is a library which loads the UI for you, and as of GTK+ 2.12, GtkBuilder is available which does the same thing in (almost) the same way.

Here is a very simple example: http://www.gtkforums.com/about187.html

Simply paste that XML stuff into a text document and save it as 'hello.glade' and then you can open it with Glade 2 to see what it looks like. The source to use that glade file is also included.