GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: image transitions (still Noobie)
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm 
Familiar Face

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently developing a slide show program using GTK. I'm trying to create some transitional effects between images.

After some digging I found the gdk_window_clear_area() function, which clears an area of window to the background pixmap.

If I use two planes (current & background), I could load a new image to the background, then remove the current image using the gdk_window_clear_area() function. The wipe down effect would be something like -

Quote:
for (y = 0 ; i < ymax ; y++)
{
gdk_window_clear_area ( window, 0, y, xmax, 1 ) ;
<some delay>
}

I'm struggling at the first hurdle loading the "current & background" images. Is there a simple snippet somebody could point me to?

Regards,

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Not really my area of expertise... but upon first thought I would think for a sort of "wipe" effect you could use gdk_pixbuf_copy_area () to copy the new image onto the old image one rectangle at a time, say 10 pixels high and all the way across. The function that does this could run every 100 milliseconds or so using g_timeout_add().

Just an idea.

If you intend to get really fancy, you could use another library, like GraphicsMagick (a fork of ImageMagick) http://www.graphicsmagick.org/