GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GtkComboBox Scolling
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:39 pm 

I am developing an application that uses a combo box that has enough entries to cause the scroll arrows to show up on the top and bottom of the popup. This application will run on a touchscreen and the bottom scroll button is incredibly hard to access when it is all the way at the bottom of the touchscreen. I have thought of two ways this might be solved so I will ask two separate questions:

1. Does anyone know how to increase the size of the scroll arrows on a combo box?

2. Does anyone know how to limit the number of lines shown at one time on a combo box so that the bottom of the combo box popup does not extend all the way to the bottom of the screen (thus making the button more accessible)?

Any answers to these questions or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:05 pm 
GTK+ Geek

Is this (http://www.mediafire.com/?yezzmpizfu5) what you're looking for? If yes, check out the Geany sources (http://geany.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/geany/tags/Geany-0_14/).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:48 pm 

Vadi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I played around with using multiple columns within the popup like the example you sent me but there still was not enough space on the screen. I have an ordered list around 250 items and some of them are 30 or 40 characters long. For what I am trying to do, multiple columns simply won't work. I need to either increase the scroll button size or figure out how to keep the popup from extending all the way to the bottom of the screen. I'm sure I could do this by modifying the GTK source but I was hoping someone knew how to do it with the available interfaces.

Thanks again,

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:50 am 
GTK+ Geek

I don't think the combo box was designed for such use.

It's kinda hard to picture your requirements, but I think a treeview with clickable items for selection would be better for your case.