GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: gtk+3.6 package in Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:49 pm 
GTK+ Guru

I switched to using Ubuntu Natty with Unico to get transparency for the gtk "alpha windows" in the test folder. (I've read Unico is going away, see link) I'm looking forward to several great new features of gtk+3.6. But I see that Ubuntu Quantal, which is to be released in October 2012, has a package for gtk+-3.5.8.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libgtk&searchon=names&suite=quantal&section=all

So is this set in stone ? Is it possible that gtk+-3.6 could make it into Quantal ? Maybe someone that knows more about the process could comment ? It seams like we have to wait for a new version of Ubuntu to get a newer gtk (packaged) version and building gtk+ manually is difficult.

New features:
  1. Transitions and CSS animations.
  2. Multiple layers of background images for a single element, as specified by CSS3.

http://worldofgnome.org/gtk-3-4-brings-various-improvements/

The multiple layers of background could be used like this:
User tadeboro created a custom spin button, kepica upgraded it to use a GtkEntry and I added my two cents. It's in the Project showcase section. http://www.gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=178048
You could create up and down button images in several colors (the plus and minus part with all other areas transparent). This is much more involved than just creating a background color or color gradient. Then someone could use your images and create their own nice gradient background either with Gimp or Inkscape or even simpler, using one of the many free online gradient color generators. Then they just use those in the CSS to customise both the up and down buttons and the background without needing to know programming or even how to use Gimp or Inkscape. And if they do know Gimp or Inkscape, or someone that does, or they just download some posted by others, they can create a totally custom look.

Post subject: Re: gtk+3.6 package in Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hi.

Odd major revision numbers are reserved for unstable packages, which eventually become +1 in final release. For example, latest stable GTK+ release is 3.4.4. This means GTK+ version 3, major revision 4 and minor revision 4. In your case, 3.5.8 is unstable release that will eventually become 3.6.0.

And as far as package versions go, I'm almost certain that Next Ubuntu edition will have 3.6 in it, since having unstable package in beta usually means that people just want to make sure things work as expected when stable package is released.

Cheers,
Tadej

Post subject: Re: gtk+3.6 package in Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 pm 
GTK+ Guru

I didn't know that about the revision numbers. Gtk+3.6 will be great to have. Thanks for replying.