GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GtkToolButton icon doesn't want to gray out
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 am 
Familiar Face

When I use a custom icon widget for my GtkToolButton (see gtk_tool_button_set_icon_widget()), and I set the GtkToolButton to the insensitive state, the icon does not want to gray out like it does when I use a stock icon (like GTK_STOCK_ADD) instead. How can I fix this behaviour?

Post subject: Re: GtkToolButton icon doesn't want to gray out
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 am 
Familiar Face

I found a good workaround for this problem. First step, make your GdkPixbuf a built-in icon with gtk_icon_theme_add_builtin_icon(). This is done instead of loading it into a GtkImage. Second step, set the icon of the GtkToolButton with gtk_tool_button_set_icon_name(), using the name you specified in the first step. This is done instead of using gtk_tool_button_set_icon_widget().

Incidentally, I created the GdkPixbuf using cairo drawing functions. First I create an image surface with surface = cairo_image_surface_create(CAIRO_FORMAT_ARGB32, width, height). Then I create a cairo context with cr = cairo_create(surface). Then I draw on this context with cairo's drawing functions. And finally I convert the image surface to a GdkPixbuf with gdk_pixbuf_get_from_surface(). It's a nice way to create icons programmatically.

Post subject: Re: GtkToolButton icon doesn't want to gray out
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:05 pm 

ijontichy wrote:
When I use a custom icon widget for my GtkToolButton (see gtk_tool_button_set_icon_widget()), and I set the GtkToolButton to the insensitive state, the icon does not want to gray out like it does when I use a stock icon (like GTK_STOCK_ADD) instead. How can I fix this behaviour?

Is this problem still not fixed in GTK+? I have run into this problem after moving from GTK+ 2.x to 3.x (3.4.2 to be specific) and came across this thread when I was looking for a possible fix/solution. Shouldn't this be considered a regression bug that needs to be fixed in GTK+ 3.x as the UI gives an inconsistent impression if the GtkToolButton is actually insensitive but the icon is not grayed out?