GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GTK-2.0 signal for a click in an area of a grafic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm 
Familiar Face

Hello
I have a grafic in a dialog made with the cairo library.
The grafic contains little squares or circles. Their quantity depends on a configuration parameter.
There may be 4 squres in the grafic or 8, or 12.
The grafic has always the same width, the diimension of the squares depends on their quantity
My question is: is there a simple possibility to detect which square has been clicked, when somebody clicked on one of the squares?
Does the event "clicked" on a grafic exist and how can I retrieve the coordinate of the click?

I hope my question is comprehensible

Thanks a lot in advance

M.Boerner

Post subject: Re: GTK-2.0 signal for a click in an area of a grafic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Yes you can do this. I have done it but the code https://github.com/pchilds/MOFsim/blob/master/src/drawcirc.c is in a bit of a sorry incomplete state that I may or may not get back to sometime. It's a lot of wading trying to read it through so here is a short summary:
You will need the following:
1. Have a data structure of the shapes from which you can determine the coordinates of all the shapes (I imagine you already have this).
2. Set up button_press/release or motion_notify events (e.g. you may want to make a shape highlight if the mouse goes over it, to make it clearer to the user that it can be clicked). In a custom widget this would be done e.g. by putting the following in the class_init and init functions:
Code:
static void gtk_your_widget_name_class_init(GtkYourWidgetNameClass *klass)
{
   (GTK_WIDGET_CLASS(klass))->button_press_event=gtk_your_widget_name_button_press;
}
static void gtk_your_widget_name_init(GtkYourWidgetName *name)
{
   gtk_widget_add_events(GTK_WIDGET(name), GDK_BUTTON_PRESS_MASK);
}

3. In the _button_press(GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventButton *event) function, iterate over all the data shapes to determine if the event occurred within the bounds of any of the shapes. Coordinates of the event are found as event->x and event->y