GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GTK3 - textview transparency
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 pm 

I am currently working on an existing Linux application called Xpad, which is a sticky notes application written in C. I try to implement transparency but I have a hard time achieving what I want. A sticky note looks like this.

I have a (toplevel) gtk_window with a gtk_textview. If the background color of the textview is set with the function gtk_widget_override_background_color() to a transparant color (GdkRGBA where alpha value is smaller than 1), the color of the gtk_window behind it, becomes more visible.

However, I don't want to see the gtk_window, but the applications behind the gtk_window, such as the browser, libreoffice, or the desktop.

If the gtk_window is set to a certain transparancy, either with gtk_widget_override_background_color() or with gtk_widget_set_opacity(), the whole widget, including the window decorations become (partially) transparent.

To make the relations between the visible objects more clear, I have created a diagram of the different parts, and marked the place where I believe the transparency issue is taking place.

Anybody have any ideas how to make the textview background transparent, without making the window decorations transparent, so I can see whatever is behind this application?

Post subject: Re: GTK3 - textview transparency
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 pm 
Familiar Face

your toplevel windows is not transparent

gtk_window_set_opacity

Post subject: Re: GTK3 - textview transparency
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 pm 

Hi nar6du14,

Thanks for thinking along. If I make the toplevel transparent (for example 50%), then the whole pad becomes transparent, including the toolbar, the window decorations, etc. So, if I would use

Code:
gtk_widget_set_opacity (GTK_WIDGET (pad), 0.5);

This would be the result.

If I would set the transparency of the toplevel window (is called pad) to 100% transparent, then all the pads are completely invisible.

I am looking for a way to make only the textview transparent.

Any other thoughts?