GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Basic "Pre-Requisites" for GLADE3 Programming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 am 

Hi All,

I am learning the GLADE environment but keep getting stuck on the basics. I read a bunch of Micah's Tutorials, but small things like 'how to get gtk-build-convert' working from command line keep jamming me up. Anyone have any suggestions on "required reading" before getting in to GTK+ / GLADE Object Oriented Programming?

Skillset:
- Basic C
- Light C#
- Lots and Lots of Bash Scripting

Post subject: Re: Basic "Pre-Requisites" for GLADE3 Programming
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:16 pm 
Familiar Face

Hi abrahamrhoffman,

in my experience it is highly recommended to have `devhelp` with the `GTK+ Reference Manual` of the GTK+ version you actually use at hand. Everytime i do some GTK+ related stuff `devhelp` is somewhere on my screen.

To get into glade from a programming perspective my advice is to read through the section `GtkBuilder` in the `GTK+ Reference Manual`. The `GtkBuilder` object is responsible for creating the instances of all the widgets you visually created with Glade previously.

Instantiating a widget however, doesn't mean that the widget is shown. That's the task of the programmer. Usually it is done by getting the main window by calling `gtk_builder_get_object ()` and afterwards calling `gtk_widget_show_all ()` on the window. The last mentioned procedure recursively shows all child widgets of the main window... For a detailed description of the mentioned methods look at the reference.

Another tip is to look at the `builder`-demo in `gtk3-demo`. `gtk3-demo` is a set of gtk3 demo's which illustrate most of the widgets and objects that come with gtk.

That is just a very short summary on the subject of how i would do the task.

Post subject: Re: Basic "Pre-Requisites" for GLADE3 Programming
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:40 pm 
Familiar Face

You don't need gtk-builder-convert if you save your Glade project as GtkBuilder XML. It can be loaded directly into GTK in more recent GTK versions. It's fine to name the file with a .glade extension.

I'll just add that you can nominate callbacks for early lifecycle events like "realize" in a GtkBuilder UI definition. Realize fires when a widget is constructed, but before it is mapped (has a screen area (GdkWindow) allocated to it) and before it's shown. This is useful for all sorts of fancy fiddling while keeping the conceptual neatness described by saunderson: all you need to do in the code is define a callback matching the one you named, at least in high-level stuff like Python:

Code:
class DemoBehaviour (object):

def __init__(self):
        super(DemoBehaviour, self).__init__()
        self.builder = Gtk.Builder()
        self.builder.add_from_file("builderdemo.glade")
        self.builder.connect_signals(self)

def run(self):
        window = self.builder.get_object("window1")
        window.show_all()
        Gtk.main()

def window1_realize_cb(self, widget):
        print "* realized"
        # ...

as a thumbnail sketch. Glade suggests names for the callback functions or methods, when you set them up on the Signals tab.