GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Two windows
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:33 pm 

I am trying to write a small personal finance program in Python.

To enter a new post, I want the program to create a new window where necessary values are entered. When I click the OK button, the values should be written to the database and the input window should close.

I have tried to do this using a gtk.Dialog, which works but has a small drawback. If I enter something erroneous the Dialog "hangs". The CANCEL button doesn't work any more, and I have no chance to correct the bad value and press OK again. The only thing I can do is using the "destroy" button in the upper right corner to get back to the main window, then create a new Dialog and try not to type something wrong.

Maybe I should create a new toplevel Window instead of a Dialog, but I don't know how to handle that. How to tell the main window that a new post is written to the database? Sending a signal? Seems complicated.

Please send suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Two windows
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hallo,

Without knowing what your code is doing it is very hard to debug.

At a guess what you are doing is creating a GtkDialog, then running it. Once a button is clicked it will return from running the GtkDialog. This is where I expect that you think the Dialog has "hung" as it is not destroyed, hidden or being interacted with any more. The "OK" and "Cancel" buttons should both close the window with "OK" accepting the entered values. I would put another button "Undo" to revert the entries back to their starting values and at this point re-run the GtkDialog.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:00 am 
Familiar Face

A modal GtkWindow would be good here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:28 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

nar6du14,

GtkDialog is a GtkWindow that is usually used as a modal window. It has extra features that make this easier such as extra API calls to run the window in modal mode and a button area.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:33 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

I do not think your dialog window is hanging, but more likely your code transferring the data is hanging preventing a return to the gtk_main loop.
Dialogs are normally run in a new thread by gtk (you can watch this happen by running your program from a terminal prompt) in which case when you kill the dialog it will kill the thread along with the bit of code that is hanging and then gtk can resume as normal.
I don't think there is any issue with your use of the dialog. What you need is better error checking and handling with what you're sending to the database.