GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Having trouble understanding default theming in windows
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:16 pm 

Let me start by saying that I'm using GTK+ 2.24 under windows 7. I downloaded the 2.24 bundle and just placed it in C:\development

I'd like to deploy my application as portable as possible and use the ms-windows theme. I have this working fine, I just included the bin, lib, etc, and share folders with the application.
My application IS using the ms-windows theme included in the share folder. I'm wondering how GTK knows to use that theme. I know its using that theme because if I remove it from the share folder, the theme reverts to the default.

I'm on a PC that has a fresh install of the OS and no other applications that use GTK have been installed so it can't be a hidden gtkrc file somewhere or something. I'm not explicitly telling it to use this theme in the code either, it's just a few lines to get a window for now.

Basically what I did was download the GTK+ 2.24 bundle for windows. I'm using DevC++ with MinGW for development. I compiled the code and placed the executable in the 'bin' folder where I put the bundle and when I run it, it is using the ms-windows theme. I couldn't find any info online about where the theme to use is defined other than some people have a gtkrc file with:

Code:
gtk-theme-name = "MS-Windows"

As far as I can tell, this file does not exist for me (I admit I may be missing it somewhere).

I have searched for weeks to find an answer to this with no results. I also tried to see what some other applications such as pidgin and wireshark have done but with no luck.

So where is this defined? The bundle comes with the runtime files, so it must be in there somewhere, right?