GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: TextView + Wrapping
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:45 pm 

Hi,

I am just a hobby programmer so I really don't use forums unless I cannot find a solution on my own with Google searches.

I have just ported a database application that I wrote from Python2/pyGTK to Python3/Gtk3 under linux.

I've been working my way through, correcting bugs introduced by the conversion. There is one area that has me stumped. I suspect it is well know but google searches don't yield anything recent so I thought I would just ask.

I have a textview object and I have wrapping set to WORD and horizontal scrollbar set to NEVER in its policy. Despite this, typing in the window causes the text area to resize horizontally without wrapping, so much so the text area expands beyond the size I set for the object.

The only way I can force the wrapping to work is if I set the horizontal scrollbar policy to ALWAYS. It's passable workaround but not ideal. Is this a known issue or am I the only one experiencing it? If it is a bug is it in the GTK3 version I am using or the Python3 interface?

If I have broken rules with my post, please don't flame me, just ignore my post. I'm always hesitant about posting on forums these days.

Post subject: Re: TextView + Wrapping
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:19 pm 
Familiar Face

It's a known bug, it's better to use GtkTextView inside a scrolled window with the automatic scrollbar policy for both directions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:46 pm 

Thank you for the feedback. I think I will go back and change that code. Do bugs like the one mentioned here get fixed prompty in gtk3?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:39 pm 
Familiar Face

See the gnome bugzilla. Normally recent regressions are fixed quickly. But here it is a really old bug:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172470

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:30 pm 

Wow! That really is an old bug! Yip, time to follow your suggestion I think. Thanks.