GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GTK+ download page not working
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 pm 

Hi,

I've recently coded a console based C application and now I'd like to add a GUI to it. I've never before done this, but after googling a bit I've decided to try out GTK+.

It's just that I'm failing now at the very first step - I can't download the source files. :/

When I try to download the all-in-one-bundle from the official download page ( http://www.gtk.org/download/win32.php ) I get a 403 error. Same goes for every other file. So I tried looking for mirrors. And strangely enough, I didn't find any. Is this 403 error desired, or is there something broken at gnome.org...?

Anyway, so I'd like to ask if someone could please send me the gtk+-bundle_3.6.4-20130921_win32.zip file? Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: GTK+ download page not working
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:48 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hello,

What you are trying to download are not the source files, but the pre-built devolpment libraries for GTK+ compiled for Microsoft Windows 32 bit.

I tried looking at the 3.6 series of downloads and I also get a 403 error. This does not affect the 2.24 series.

You can try contacting GTK directly to find out what has happened to the Microsoft download.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:21 am 

Sorry, mix-up. Yeah, I meant the development package.

What's the big difference between version 2 and 3? Is there a drawback when using version 2?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:57 pm 
Familiar Face

GTK+ 2 is deprecated and not actively developed, there will only be bug fixes. But the advantage is that the API is stable.
The GTK+ 3 API is a bit unstable, there are new APIs, new interesting features, and some old APIs are deprecated. With all these changes, there can be more bugs.
GTK+ 2 on windows works well, but for GTK+ 3 I think there are still some rough edges (GObject introspection for example).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

GTK+ v2.24 is still supported with bug and security issues still being fixed, but with no new API functions. You can treat it as if it is in long term support. Any new API function goes into GTK+ v3.

GTK+ v2.24 is still used in many big projects including Mozilla Firefox, GIMP (The application that started GTK+), Ardour etc......

The main disadvantages will be that you will not be taking advantage of the latest technologies and when it comes to moving onto GTK+ v3 there will be a bit of work to do to convert.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:24 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Just checked on the Microsoft Windows GTK+ down load page and the v3 is again available for download.