GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Glade has many problems!! Programming with glade or without?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:17 am 
Familiar Face

Hey people, I have been programming with glade, both in windows and in linux. I found many problems with glade,basicly in toolbar and menubar. He crash multiple times. My question is, will be a good solution use glade to develop big applications? I have the version 3.6.3. I'm studying the gedit source, I saw that most of the code was coded without the glade. Why? Exist any raison for that? Glade is stable?

Post subject: Re: Glade has many problems!! Programming with glade or with
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:20 am 
Familiar Face

Hi,

0xpoint wrote:
I saw that most of the code was coded without the glade. Why?

I'm a beginer with with Gtk (not with programing) and I like it, if I see in the code what I'm doing. I get from Glade a big file and if I want to change something, wich is not possible in Glade, it is for me much more complicated. So I do it by hand.

Maybe it's a bit more work, but I prefer it this way,

Michael ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:17 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hi.

I must say I like Glade a lot. It does have it's own set of troubles and bugs, but version 3.6.7 works quite well.

What I like the most about Glade is the ability to change GUI layout without making a single code change. As long as my widgets in GUI definition file keep their names and types, application will work exactly as before the change.

But even if you don't intend to use GtkBuilder in final version of your application, you still may benefit from it. This is especially true for packing widgets into GtkTable. One needs to be quite experienced to predict what the final outcome will be, but in Glade, you can see in real time how changes in packing parameters affect the layout.

And last, my favorite "feature": choose one builder file and run:
Code:
$ grep "<object" my.builder | less
What you get is one nice widget tree that can help you a lot when thinking about problematic parts of the GUI.

As for the big applications, Glade still may be used to develop them, but you'll probably want to split you GUI in more manageable parts (design dialogs as separate builder files for example). In my experience, big applications usually need quite a few custom widgets. And since implementing GtkBuildable interface is not the most important thing if you intend to use those widgets only in this application, Glade is out of the question.

Hope this info helps a bit.

Tadej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 pm 
Familiar Face

I have installed now the glade version 3.6.7. The problem continues! I leave a screenshot:
Fixed img bb -dreblen

When I select an item from the menubar, the entire glade crash. Any suggestion? Thanks a lot by help.