GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ImportError when I import FigureCanvasGTKAgg—seeking advice!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:54 pm 

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and to all things GTK, so go easy on me, please.

A colleague created a Python program that uses matplotlib and GTK. I wanted to be able run her program on my MacBook (OS X 10.6.7). I used macports to update/obtain Python 2.7, matplotlib 1.0.1, and PyGTK 2.22.0. (I also obtained ipython, if anyone cares.)

After all of this, my colleague's program hits a snag when I try to run it; here is the traceback:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "main.py", line 5, in <module>
    from interface import Interface, Display, Controls
  File "/Users/thecommexokid/Documents/CurrentProjects/Honors/DoubleSlit/interface.py", line 5, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtkagg import FigureCanvasGTKAgg
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtkagg.py", line 10, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_gtk import gtk, FigureManagerGTK, FigureCanvasGTK,\
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk.py", line 28, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends.backend_gdk import RendererGDK, FigureCanvasGDK
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gdk.py", line 29, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends._backend_gdk import pixbuf_get_pixels_array
ImportError: No module named _backend_gdk

Any advice anyone has on how to overcome this problem and get her program running on my machine would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I am new to these things, and I don't really understand the interplay between Python, PyGTK, and matplotlib, so if there's crucial information I haven't provided, or if this isn't the best forum in which to be asking this question, let me know. Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: As I said, I wasn't sure what the best forum would be to post this question. I decided after I posted here that maybe the matplotlib forum made more sense, so I cross-posted over there (thread: [url]http://old.nabble.com/ImportError-when-I-import-FigureCanvasGTKAgg—seeking-advice%21-td31779648.html[/url]). I'll be sure to keep both threads updated with any developments.

Post subject: Re: ImportError when I import FigureCanvasGTKAgg—seeking adv
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:02 pm 

I found a solution after all, in this post on the matplotlib forums: http://old.nabble.com/_backend_gdk-not-found-td26514059.html#a26514059.

Just as the answerer there suggested, I had PyGTK but matplotlib wasn't recognizing it during build; when I tried building from source instead of using macports this was made clear in the build output.

As he said, I searched my computer to find a file called pygtk-2.0.pc, and added the directory it was in to the system variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH. After I did that, the build was successful and I had no further problems!

Thanks to everyone who may have read my post, but I would up figuring this one out on my own.