GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Printing with GTK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:16 am 

Hi!

I've just started to use GTK for windows programming and I'm quite new at programming. But even though I want to know how to print documents.

Is there any special way in GTK to send documents to printer? Can I print what's in a GtkTextBuffer? Or can I make a PostScript file out of it? GtkPrintJob, gtk_print_job_set_source_file() - can I use this function to print PS-files, system wide? What is the easiest way to create a PS-file in C programming? I want to print documents with both images and text.

Does anyone know any tutorial for this? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:15 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

To print, you have to create a Cairo context, so basically, you cannot "just print a GtkTextBuffer." You must explicitly format the whole document, page by page. There are no tutorials available right now since printing has just been added to GTK+, but it is covered in my book (http://www.gtkbook.com).

If you would rather just look at code, check out the test application in the GTK+ source, although that contains absolutely no description of what is going on.

Foundations of GTK+ Development: Buy now for only $31.49!