GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem with vertical spacing (GTK2)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:06 am 
Familiar Face

I've taken a screen-shot of application (text editor) a week ago (left window) and the same application now (right window):

http://i.imgur.com/kKjCs.png

New appearance is no good, rows are too condensed. It's not just problem in particular editor but i.e. Firefox 10 dropdown address-bar history is condensed and lower edges of font (~1px) is cut. It's same in Eclipse too, and Nautilus side panel (places pane). Probably elsewhere also. Something has changed vertical spacing globally

I'm on Ubuntu 11.04.
I first thought it's some setting in current theme's gtkrc, but changing themes does not change this unwanted behaviour, unless using some spartan non GTK2 theme, so there is problem

Any pointers much appreciated
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Problem with vertical spacing (GTK2)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hi,

The most likely things to affect the appearance of anything globally are theme settings, font settings etc.

You have not stated what changes have happened to your system apart from a date gap of one week. This is not really enough information to help anyone. For example - Have you recently upgraded your system? Have you changed some setting some where with out knowing?, Have you changed the type of desktop you are now using? Have you switched to using Unity?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 am 
Familiar Face

I didn't wanted to suspect as it would complicate things, plus I feel stupid I've done that
I tried to install gnome-shell - for who knows what reason - from gnome3 launchpad PPA:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
sudo apt-get install gnome-session

After I realised I made mistake, I purged:

Code:
ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update

and reverted system system to previous state. Everything seems fine except this problem, and I don't know where to look as it could be just anything

I thought that maybe there is some global setting accessible through gconf or similarly, but I'm afraid there is no such setting

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:16 pm 
Familiar Face

I deleted:

Code:
~/.gnome/
~/.gnome2/
~/.gconf/
~/.gconfd/

so that settings are reset, but without solving this issue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:42 am 
Familiar Face

Well, does someone maybe know how I can set "row" height in gtkrc file?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:06 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hi.

Have you tried switching your theme? This should give you some indication whether the problem lies with GTK+ settings or theme-related stuff. I must say I'm not too familiar with Ubuntu (the patch GTK+ too much for my taste), so there could be other issues as well.

Cheers,
Tadej

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 pm 
Familiar Face

Yes, I wrote in first post, it's same with any theme

I reset also dconf setting by deleting relevant folders in ~/.config, but no luck

Currently I managed to solve one issue - Nautilus side pane vertical spacing, by editing current theme gtkrc file and adding:

Code:
GtkTreeView::vertical_separator = 2

I would like to know how can I do the same for GTK widgets that are responsible for text editors and additionally for inputbox control and Firefox dropdown addressbar history :D

One other thing also, if it's not obvious, if I run GUI application as root, there are no issues, same as with guest session
I don't know what other setting in my profile folder can affect this things. I think that I reset everything that was obvious to me, but without desired result

Here is screenshot of same editor run at current profile (left) and as root (right):

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm 
Familiar Face

errol wrote:
The most likely things to affect the appearance of anything globally are theme settings, font settings etc.

Thanks God I re-read this thread more carefully and noticed errol mentioning font setting. That was the issue and not my gnome-shell adventure, which happened in same day

I got Google font pack and used Font Manager to browse it. I added folder in Font Manager w/o knowing that these fonts would be treated as installed. And I'm talking about 1GB font pack of "various" quality which I imagine must have influenced my OS performance (thou I didn't noticed it)

So after removing this folder from Font Manager everything got back to normal

Happy cube again :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:10 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

:) Always a good idea to keep track of what you have done to your system!