GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Which language do you prefer for programming GTK+ applications?
C 54%  54%  [ 65 ]
C++ 15%  15%  [ 18 ]
Mono (C#) 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Perl 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Python 15%  15%  [ 18 ]
Java 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
PHP 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ruby 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Vala 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 120
 Post subject: What about Tcl?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 pm 
It may not be too popular, but there are Tcl bindings for Gtk/Gnome. Add it to the list and then I can vote for it!

Mind you to get the bindings to work, they have to be written in C first! So, C-Tcl!

Post subject: C, and I like how open it is to other languages.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:44 pm 
Familiar Face

I prefer to use C (because of my background) - however, I really like how open GTK is to other languages - it's impressive how straightforward it is to use, and very powerful too. Nice!

P.S. I came to GTK/Linux from years of Carbon/Cocoa programming on OSX - GTK is way, way better in every respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:33 am 
Familiar Face

Yes, i do prefer C language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:06 am 

I am using C language in GTK for developing GUI application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 pm 

I voted Ruby, but to be honest I use php more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:46 am 
I'd prefer to use COBOL but there isn't enuf money in the multiverse to get a COBOL compiler :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 am 
Familiar Face

Cheifchimp wrote:
I'd prefer to use COBOL but there isn't enuf money in the multiverse to get a COBOL compiler :cry:

You're joking, right? Because there is an open source COBOL compiler: OpenCOBOL. You'll have to search for the URL because I'm too new here to post URLs.

OpenCOBOL works like Vala: it translates the input language to C, and then compiles it. Two things surprise me -- that C# ranks so low, and that anyone is so crazy like me that he'd even think about COBOL. But now there is you (maybe?) -- and the absolute genius in the OpenCOBOL forums who figured out how to use Vala to interact with Gtk+ from COBOL.

However... for learning GTK+, I vote C. Krause's book is on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:37 am 
fidel wrote:
Cheifchimp wrote:

You're joking, right? Because there is an open source COBOL compiler: OpenCOBOL. You'll have to search for the URL because I'm too new here to post URLs.

OpenCOBOL works like Vala: it translates the input language to C, and then compiles it. Two things surprise me -- that C# ranks so low, and that anyone is so crazy like me that he'd even think about COBOL. But now there is you (maybe?) -- and the absolute genius in the OpenCOBOL forums who figured out how to use Vala to interact with Gtk+ from COBOL.

However... for learning GTK+, I vote C. Krause's book is on the way.

Give me a moment to extract my tongue from my cheek.

The only formal training in programming I've had was COBOL, too many years ago. I've looked at openCOBOL from time to time but not gone any further.

I taught myself almost enough C and use that to struggle through but doubt I'll ever learn GTK, it seems to me that every time I find something I can work with, it gets depricated in favour of something far less intutive and sparsely documented from a user's perspective.

Lack of favour for C# doesn't suprise me at all, it does belong to windows after all.

I gave up buying books because before the ship carrying them reaches Australia the price triples and they are several generations out of date.

If the developers would just ensure there were up to date tutorials released with their releases, dinosuars like me would have a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:34 am 
Familiar Face

Quote:
I gave up buying books because before the ship carrying them reaches Australia the price triples and they are several generations out of date.

Well, at some point ebooks were invented.... although as a semi-dinosaur and resident of a paper-making state I still prefer printed editions. Bare rocks reflect more sunlight, and less e-books means fewer data centers, which adds up to a huge reduction in global warming.

Quote:
If the developers would just ensure there were up to date tutorials released with their releases, dinosuars like me would have a chance.

Always a problem. I don't worry too much about being behind the curve. I'm sure if my C code gets into circulation, a more informed developer will point out the possibilities for modernization. For example by rewriting it in 64-bit assembler. Hmmm. Why isn't that in the poll?! (Currently reading Richard Blum's book on assembler; it's on my brain.)

Post subject: PyGTK
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:49 pm 
Familiar Face

Python and Glade for me :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:04 am 
GTK+ Geek

I'm another dinosaur; I've been pecking out code of one sort or another for thirty years. Being completely untrained in anything past 8080 machine code (my, that was a long time ago!) I don't claim competency in anything... but although I'll reach for C by reflex, and in general OOP languages make my ears bleed, I've voted for C#/Mono.

Mind you, I'm not competent to offer an opinion; knowing neither c# or the gtk toolkit, I'm currently learning both as I go along.

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:16 pm 
Familiar Face

My vote goes for c++, my code is much cleaner since I use classes and inheritance!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:18 pm 
Familiar Face

Where is VALA ? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:41 pm 
GTK+ Guru

jjardon wrote:
Where is VALA ? ;)

VALA was just being created when this poll was made. So it usage was nil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:59 am 
Familiar Face

Can't Vala be a contender? Gtk is fairly important to it, after all. It would take my vote, anyway.

[EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the previous replies before I posted. Genie's another one to add if someone starts a new poll. And, don't forget Lua—LuaGnome is the binding there.]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next