GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: GTK - Project sizes and examples.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:21 am 

I'm currently trying to decide whether to use GTK for future applications. A smaller file size is important as well as the appearance of the gui.

I have two questions.

1 - How does the file size of projects created in GTK compare to others such as wxWidgets and QT.

2 - Would anyone have any examples of GTK applications I could look at to see how it looks when compiled. I haven't built the GTK library yet and probably won't do so until I get a better idea what it is like. I'm almost certain there will be built issues as I'm using MinGW and Windows XP and all of the examples i see out there are for Linux.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: GTK - Project sizes and examples.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:35 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hi,

This is not really the best place to argue the best graphical tool kit to use.

Your project size is going to depend mainly on your code, with all the tool kits being very well written.

There are many projects out there, many that are open source. Two projects that use the GTK+ tool kit are Google Chrome and Moizilla Firefox. OK these are very large projects, but a web browser is a very complex bit of software. There are many many more out there.

For WxWidgets there is Audacity.

I use Linux so do not have any experience of programming with any of the tool kits under Windows XP. Just a note Microsoft will stop support for Windows XP April 2014 and I expect many other will drop support for it soon afterwards.

With all the tool kits except for WxWidget they will tend to have their own look and feel. WxWidgets tries its best to use the native look and feel. WxWidgets does this by building on top of other tool kits. So on Linux this may be GTK+.

The tool kit you choose will depend on the programming language that you want to use (Note QT uses a modified version of C++ which needs to be preprocessed), the look and feel, the license of the tool kit Etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:05 am 

OK, thanks, but looks aside, how big are the files for basic programs.
Are there any small examples out there that I can run on windows. I haven't built it yet so I'm just looking for some example binaries.

Also, I can't make out from the website download page whether I can build a static library for GTK? From what I can read, I need expat..

Am I interpreting this wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:24 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

There is no fixed size one can say that a binary for a GTK+ application will be. There are far too many variables that determine what size it will be.

There are many examples here listed or linked on the tutorial section of this forum - http://www.gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=988

Since I do not use Windows for application programming I can not help you running your application and from previous postings I think that it is advisable not to compile with static libraries.

Did you look at the download page - http://www.gtk.org/download/index.php and follow the correct links for the system that you want?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 am 

forget i asked.

All I'm asking is how does the size of a project (small or large) compare to other gui toolkits? I thought somebody more experienced than me at this kind of thing may have some kind of an idea that's all.

Yes I've seen that page.