GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rotator and Gtk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:28 pm 

Why does Gtk lack a rotator, circular slider control?
Like here:
It could be useful for many things.
Apache OpenOffice has rotating GUI elements in it, an office program.

Post subject: Re: Rotator and Gtk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:19 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hello,

GTK does not have a Rotary or Dial widget. I expect this is due to lack of interest/agreement on how it should be implemented. Such as how it should look, how you would interact etc...

This does not stop you from implementing your own widget to suit your application. This is done on many audio applications written using GTK such as Ardour and the many audio plug-ins and audio effects application.

Qt does have a Dial widget, but the look of it is very basic. As for OpenOffice I expect the Dial widget is probably a custom widget.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 pm 
Familiar Face

errol wrote:
Hello,

GTK does not have a Rotary or Dial widget. I expect this is due to lack of interest/agreement on how it should be implemented. Such as how it should look, how you would interact etc...

This does not stop you from implementing your own widget to suit your application. This is done on many audio applications written using GTK such as Ardour and the many audio plug-ins and audio effects application.

Qt does have a Dial widget, but the look of it is very basic. As for OpenOffice I expect the Dial widget is probably a custom widget.

Hm, what about clutter? I did not use it, but i heard about this library

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:36 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Clutter is a library for drawing 2D surfaces in 3D space using hardware acceleration if possible. You can use this to draw your dial widget if you want, although I think this may be a little bit too much just for one widget, unless you are doing a very fancy one.

Other possibilities is to use Cairo which GTK already uses for drawing to create the dial widget. You may want to consider the various information from the theme so that your new widget follows the look of the other widgets. Also depending on your application you may want to do a bunch of custom widgets for a certain display like some audio software do to simulate a bit of hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:30 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Rotator widgets are often missing in GUI toolkits as they simply are not that useable. On real life equipment the rotator is a sensible devices as holding it between your fingers and twisting is something that can be done with a good degree of control. Holding a mouse button and turning in a circle; however, is not. GUIs tend to stick with linear motion which is not as open to erratic behaviour. If you are going to implement it as a custom widget (and yes cairo is the way to go about doing that) you'll want to give it a good amount of testing to make sure it is comfortable and easy to use. Don't forget to ensure your custom widget is suitably accessible (which you can now actually do in GTK3.8)