GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Optimizing GtkNotebook with identical children
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:57 am 
Familiar Face

Hello,
I have a GtkNotebook with a couple tabs that all contain identical content just showing different values.
I want to optimize this by having only one set of widgets that show the right values depending on the selected tab.

First solution would be to put the content outside the notebook with loosing the affiliation because the widgets are outside the notebook frame.
Second solution would be to just have a box as child for each tab and gtk_container_remove() and gtk_container_add() the content from one box to another.

Is it possible to add non-tab content to a notebook? Or is this what the "action_widgets" are about?
Is there any better solution? Which one is preferrable?

Thanks
Stefan

Post subject: Re: Optimizing GtkNotebook with identical children
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:12 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Hello,

Have you done some profiling on your code to make sure that optimisation would be worth doing all this extra work for what may end up being harder to read code? It looks like you are trying to do a large amount of work for very little gain.

Post subject: Re: Optimizing GtkNotebook with identical children
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:24 am 
Familiar Face

You are right, it's not really necessary for performance reasons. Resizing the window is not as slick anymore but my development machine is some years old one and that's negligible. I just wanted to know if there's any "best practice" or workaround for such a special case to increase speed and lower memory footprint. If nothing's provided by the api I'm fine with doing it the intended way.