GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: minimum GTK runtime library size on win32
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:44 am 

I notice that on windows platform all the GTK programs require a runtime enviroment to be installed . And this runtime takes almost 30mb hard disk space. I think maybe not all the Dlls are neccessary for simple applications .So my question is " Is it possible to make a core GTK runtime which has the minimum size ?".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:10 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

I'm not aware of anybody doing this, though it seems plausible to compile each library yourself, removing anything you don't need. However, that's a lot of work for a small (in my opinion) issue.

Any Windows application has dependencies, however, they're typically already provided by the OS or other applications. Obviously, the GTK+ runtime isn't provided by the OS. The the goal would be to have your installer first check for the availability of GTK+ and only download and install the runtime if it isn't already present.

With the storage capacities these days and high-speed internet, having code that can be built in Linux, OSX, and Windows trumps the size of the runtime environment in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:15 am 

Thanks for reply.

Yes, any application needs many denpendcy but many win32 programs get support directly from the os what means they used the pre-installed lib or active control.

But what about Qt, as I remember to run a Qt helloworld on windows only need 2 dlls (about 6mb).

Post subject: One Idea...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:39 pm 
Familiar Face

What I did was execute my program without Gtk in the path. This presents a dialog for any missing DLLs. I did this to get a list of the DLLs I needed and then included those in the installer. My installer is about 3Mb while the size on disk is around 9Mb.

Nicholas