GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GtkTextView + focus-in-event signal issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 am 

Hello everyone!
I am new here so I will say some words about me. I am from Brazil and I work in a company who make automated machines to metalurgical industries.
We have a HMI that runs Linux and the software is based on GTK and C.
I am facing an issue since Wednesday.
Our HMI doesn't have a keyboard so I did it in GTK. When the user selects a GtkEntry or a GtkTextView, a Virtual Keyboard is showed then user can type a text.
I am using a GtkNotebook where each page is a screen. If I change the page, another screen is showed to user.
I use the signal focus-in-event on GtkEntry and GtkTextView widgets to control when to show the Virtual Keyboard.
It is working very well for GtkEntry but if I try to show the VirtualKeyboard from a GtkTextView it doesn't work. The Virtual Keyboard page is selected correctly but the focus remains on GtkTextView. I've tried to use gtk_widget_grab_focus to set focus to a widget but no success.
If I press ALT+TAB to go to another application then press ALT+TAB again, the focus goes to the VirtualKeyboard page and all works fine.
If I use another signal like key-press-event, it works for both GtkEntry and GtkTextView without any problem.
I changed my program to have only what is needed to show this issue. Please see attached .tgz archive containing .c and .glade files for better understanding. There is a compilation script too.
Any comments will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Marcelo Utikawa da Fonseca

Attachments:
File comment: Archive with .c, .glade and a shell script
focus.tgz [3.11 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

Post subject: Re: GtkTextView + focus-in-event signal issue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 am 

Hi everybody!

I am keeping trying to know what could be wrong with my code. Now I have a "workaround" for the issue but with an inconvenient: I loose the first widget clicked in the Virtual Keyboard.
After further investigations I realize that , after to open Virtual Keyboard, a widget of it (in my case, OK button) has the focus. When I click on any widget, the focus comes back to GtkTextView in another page of GtkNotebook (should it be a bug?) then I have no more control on any widget in Virtual Keyboard. When I press ALT+TAB, the GtkTextView loose its focus. When I press ALT+TAB again and return to my application, GtkTextView grab focus again but, this time, if I click on any widget of Virtual Keyboard, GtkTextView lose the focus and the clicked widget get it. After to confirm this behaviour I changed my code to transfer the focus to Virtual Keyboard if GtkTextView grab the focus and Virtual Keyboard page is selected.
Follow my workaround just for reference:
Code:
gboolean cbFocusIn(GtkWidget *widget, GdkEvent *event, gpointer user_data)
{
  GtkNotebook *ntb = GTK_NOTEBOOK(gtk_builder_get_object(builder, "ntbWorkArea"));

if(gtk_notebook_get_current_page(ntb)) {
    gtk_notebook_set_current_page(ntb, 0);
  } else {
    gtk_widget_grab_focus(GTK_WIDGET(gtk_builder_get_object(builder, "txvVirtualKeyboard")));
  }

return FALSE;
}