GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Compiling a GTK program, that uses libraries MySql (gcc)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:53 am 
Familiar Face

Compiling a GTK program, that uses libraries MySql (gcc complier)

Hi all, I wanted to submit a problem that happened to me recently when I use the GTK libraries.

My intention was to create a GUI in C (using GTK) to interact with a MySQL database (using the libraries provided by mysql.com).

We place now that I typed the command on Linux shell (Ubuntu 11.40):
Code:
gcc -Wall -g main.c -o main `mysql_config --cflags --libs` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`

Unfortunately known that the compiler can not link the MySQL libraries, thus giving me these errors:
Code:
main.c: 14:1: error: unknown type name 'MYSQL'
main.c: 16:3: error: unknown type name 'MYSQL'
main.c: 16:3: warning: implicit declaration of function 'mysql_init' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
main.c: 16:29: warning: initialization Makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
main.c: 19:5: warning: implicit declaration of function 'mysql_real_connect' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
main.c: 21:7: warning: implicit declaration of function 'mysql_close' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
main.c: 25:5: warning: implicit declaration of function 'mysql_select_db' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

Honestly, are not very experienced in using the GCC compiler, so if any of you could help me out, I would be very grateful! :)

PS: safe place for you also what the compiler in verbose mode printed on the screen:
Code:
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6.1/lto-wrapper
Target: i686-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.6/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,go --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.6 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.6 --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes --enable-plugin --enable-objc-gc --enable-targets=all --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=i686-linux-gnu --host=i686-linux-gnu --target=i686-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.6.1 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3)
COLLECT_GCC_OPTIONS='-Wall' '-g' '-v' '-I' '/usr/include/mysql' '-D' 'BIG_JOINS=1' '-fno-strict-aliasing' '-D' 'UNIV_LINUX' '-D' 'UNIV_LINUX' '-rdynamic' '-L/usr/lib/mysql' '-pthread' '-I' '/usr/include/gtk-2.0' '-I' '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include' '-I' '/usr/include/atk-1.0' '-I' '/usr/include/cairo' '-I' '/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0' '-I' '/usr/include/pango-1.0' '-I' '/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/' '-I' '/usr/include/glib-2.0' '-I' '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include' '-I' '/usr/include/pixman-1' '-I' '/usr/include/freetype2' '-I' '/usr/include/libpng12' '-pthread' '-mtune=generic' '-march=i686'
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6.1/cc1 -quiet -v -I /usr/include/mysql -I /usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include -I /usr/include/atk-1.0 -I /usr/include/cairo -I /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I /usr/include/pango-1.0 -I /usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I /usr/include/glib-2.0 -I /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I /usr/include/pixman-1 -I /usr/include/freetype2 -I /usr/include/libpng12 -imultilib . -imultiarch i386-linux-gnu -D_REENTRANT -D BIG_JOINS=1 -D UNIV_LINUX -D UNIV_LINUX main.c -quiet -dumpbase main.c -mtune=generic -march=i686 -auxbase main -g -Wall -version -fno-strict-aliasing -fstack-protector -o /tmp/ccBDxZjT.s
GNU C (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3) version 4.6.1 (i686-linux-gnu)
   compiled by GNU C version 4.6.1, GMP version 5.0.1, MPFR version 3.0.1-p3, MPC version 0.9
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=83 --param ggc-min-heapsize=99869
ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu"
ignoring nonexistent directory "/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6.1/../../../../i686-linux-gnu/include"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
/usr/include/mysql
/usr/include/gtk-2.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/include
/usr/include/atk-1.0
/usr/include/cairo
/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0
/usr/include/pango-1.0
/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/
/usr/include/glib-2.0
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include
/usr/include/pixman-1
/usr/include/freetype2
/usr/include/libpng12
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6.1/include
/usr/local/include
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6.1/include-fixed
/usr/include/i386-linux-gnu
/usr/include
End of search list.
GNU C (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3) version 4.6.1 (i686-linux-gnu)
   compiled by GNU C version 4.6.1, GMP version 5.0.1, MPFR version 3.0.1-p3, MPC version 0.9
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=83 --param ggc-min-heapsize=99869
Compiler executable checksum: 4563c158c7f73de3aa3de4c02c58d3f9

Post subject: Re: Compiling a GTK program, that uses libraries MySql (gcc)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 pm 
Familiar Face

Hello clarkent91,

Have a look at using libgda, http://www.gnome-db.org/

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:44 pm 
Familiar Face

Thank you good advice Patrick, I'll keep it in mind for future projects! ;)

But what I was looking for is there a way to use the GCC compiler to compile a program that exploits the graphical interface provided by GTK.

The problem is that, whether you use lidgda that the API of MySQL, I do not know how to instruct the compiler to compile my application.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

You are already familiar with compiling and linking in gtk to your c program; mysql is no different. Simply put it or the relevant library names next to gtk+-2.0 in the string you send to pkg-config and pkg-config will do the rest of it for you (to check you have the name right look in your prefix/lib/pkg-config directory). Make sure you have the -dev headers installed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am 
Familiar Face

That the development headers are installed I am sure, because the only programs that use gtk, or just the MySQL API, compile correctly.
The problem comes when I decide to compile a program that utlizzi both libraries.

In your opinion, the arguments that pass in GCC are correct?
Code:
gcc -Wall -g main.c -o main `mysql_config --cflags --libs` `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 pm 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Actually my mistake. MySQL is one of those annoying pieces of software that doesn't use .pc files. I gave your compilation instructions a test on a piece of software that kepica had developed for MySQL and gtk2 (http://www.gtkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55595). It worked perfectly, no errors (I'm on Ubuntu 12.04). So I would think it's either a simple error in your code or something to do with your configuration.
Do you have the right sql_config file? You say you downloaded the libraries from mysql.com. You would probably be better obtaining them through apt-get in order to ensure they are configured right for your distribution (I sourced mine from libmysqlclient-dev).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:10 pm 
Familiar Face

That was the problem! mysql.com library was not suited to my linux distribution.
Now compiles fine, thanks for everything! :D