GTK+ Forums

Discussion forum for GTK+ and Programming. Ask questions, troubleshoot problems, view and post example code, or express your opinions.
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I need input on application design.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:17 am 
Familiar Face

Hello,

I am totally new to GTK+. I need an application that will have main window with only five buttons so it will look like a bar. Clicking on the buttons will start another five windows. In each of those five windows I'll show some information. If I close any of those five windows I can re-launch them by clicking on the buttons in the main window.

What is the best way to implement this app? My idea is the main window will be top level window, and other five windows will be non-modal dialog boxes.

I am using C++ and Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: I need input on application design.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:48 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Yes you would want them to be nonmodal as otherwise you can't operate the five buttons. So what you mention should work fine, though things could be done more simply.
I personally don't like multi-window apps (beyond those that use momentary dialogs). I could probably give you plenty of reasons programmatically and design wise as to why they should be avoided but even if that wasn't the case, I'd not like them anyway. As your parent window is a lesser used feature but an improtant one nonetheless you want to visually minimise it as much as possible yet still have users know how to find it easy enough. A radio menu item might be your best bet. Switch between the different options and have a signal system set up to detect changes in the selection and then populate the main window with what you were going to put in the child windows.
There are a wide range of widgets available and it is worthwhile investigating the set to determine what you feel presents your partiular information in the best way possible

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
Familiar Face

Thank you for reply!

The application is intented for a small group of users so the parent window with minimum features is alright, users will remember about it. I need multiple windows because:
1. I need to see information from multiple windows at the same time, hence the radio button will not work.
2. I need to close some of the windows and keep others open depending on the circumstances.
3. I need to place and size the windows to my liking, so are other users.
4. I need to be able to spread windows across multiple monitors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:06 am 
Never Seen the Sunlight

Sorry I thought it was a once at a time thing.
What you suggest should work just fine, just one thing to watchout for is that a GtkDialog won't have the full range of functionality as a generic top level window so you might want to use the latter (e.g. if you want a fullscreen button etc.).